NAIJA REBRANDER

Security alert! Boko Haram plans to abduct for ransom, FG warns

The Federal Government on Friday issued a security alert, warning that Boko Haram terrorists, who had been put on the run by the military, were planning another sensational abduction of pupils and foreigners in a desperate effort to raise funds through ransom in order to meet their needs for food, medical and arms supply.
In a statement issued in Abuja, the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said the planned abduction was in line with the terrorists’ new modus operandi of focusing on soft targets, having being routed from their stronghold and their capacity to stage spectacular attacks substantially degraded.
He said terrorists have now concentrated their attacks on soft targets, like motor parks, schools and entertainment centres as they had been degraded to a level that they are now incapable of staging spectacular attacks like they used to do.

Mohamed said, “The kidnap of the Chibok girls in 2014, which attracted global attention to the terrorist group, is what it is now trying to repeat, hoping it can find vulnerable targets, especially schools, or a group of foreigners outside the front-line states.
”The plan by Boko Haram is also part of an overall strategy by the terrorists to seek to negatively impact on the psyche of the gallant troops who have routed them from their stronghold and also give the impression that they had not been defeated by the December 2015 deadline given by this administration to effectively degrade the insurgency in the North-east.
”This is why we have decided to issue this alert to enable the authorities of both public primary and secondary schools in remote locations, particular in the northern states, to upgrade security arrangements.
“It is also aimed at alerting the general public, operators of hotels and entertainment centres, motor parks and similar facilities to also upgrade their security arrangements for the holidays.”
The minister added, “Smoked out of their hideouts and badly bruised by our gallant military, the Boko Haram terrorists are desperate, especially in the face of the depletion of their food supplies.
“In their desperation, they will not hesitate to embark on actions they feel can still make them relevant or enhance their survival. But the military is ready and able to prevent that.”
He said the Federal Government would build on the successes recorded by the military, adding that the military had largely met the deadline to degrade the capability of Boko Haram.
SHARE

NAIJA REBRANDER

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments :

Post a Comment